What is Acne?
Acne is the occurrence of irritated or infected sebaceous glands in the skin. It can occur in teenagers as well as adults. An overproduction of oil, an accumulation of dead skin cells, and a buildup of bacteria generally are the frequent causes of this skin condition. Acne is most common on the face, but can occur anywhere on the body in the form of blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, and cysts.
Acne Treatment Options
Acne is treated depending on its severity and persistence. Abadir Associates utilize several cosmetic treatments to help control or eliminate the signs and symptoms of acne:
- Topical creams: Creams can be applied to the face and body to reduce inflammation and camouflage the symptoms of acne.
- Antibiotics: Oral and topical antibiotics can be used to lower the population of bacteria found on the skin surface.
- Oral contraceptives: Oral contraceptives are commonly used to treat acne in women as they can suppress the overactive gland.
- Anti testosterone medication: Anti testosterone medication can help manage the signs and symptoms for women who have acne due to aggravated or high male hormone levels.
- Accutane (isotretinoin): Accutane is a prescription medication for acne. It decreases the size and output of sebaceous glands, makes the skin less able to form blackheads and whiteheads, and reduces the number of bacteria found on the surface of the skin.
- Facials plus light acid peels: Facials can moderate redness, calm irritation, and reduce facial swelling. A light acid peel can be applied to remove dead skin cells and stimulate the production of new skin cells.
- Microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion involves a gentle resurfacing of the skin. It may also be added to a facial or combined with a peel.
- Photodynamic therapy: Photodynamic therapy is a non-invasive procedure that uses light treatments to shrink oil glands within the skin.
- Vitamins: Vitamin supplements can decrease the symptoms of acne and improve the overall appearance of the skin.
Who is a Candidate for Acne Treatment?
Treatments for acne are an option for any individual who has acne. The occurrence of acne varies from case to case, so treatment must be customized for each patient. To see if acne treatment is right for you, schedule a consultation with Abadir Associates today.
Why choose Dr. Abadir?
Leading New York and Connecticut dermatologists Dr. Dale Abadir and Dr. Michelle Abadir have extensive training and knowledge in the latest skin care technologies. This combined with their passion for helping men and women look and feel their best allows them to create a personalized, patient-centered approach to treating acne.
Page author Dr Michelle Abadir